Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Reluctant Queen by Joan Wolf

The story is a view of the life of Esther, queen of Persia. It starts out by describing a little bit about her life before she was made queen. When she ends up going to the harem, on a mission from her elders, she is picked to be the king’s wife and her life is turned upside down. It tells of her life as queen, and how she goes about achieving what her uncle told her to do. She faces hardships, but stays close to God along the way.

The book was focused on the love life of Queen Esther, so there are a few parts that maybe wouldn’t be mentioned otherwise. I don’t feel the author was quite as tasteful with the romance scenes as, say, Francine Rivers is, but there is nothing that could be even remotely compared to what some teens are reading today. I really enjoyed the fact that it told about life in the harem and how Persian women at the time had to live, instead of just focusing on the story that most people are familiar with. I must say, though, that the author had a really annoying habit of describing the male characters over indulgently. It wasn’t too much of a bother; actually, it gave quite a good description of the people in the story.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who loves biblical stories or a good, clean romance novel now and then. I really enjoyed it, and having only 255 pages, it took me hardly any time at all to read it. I read about a third of it coming home from a vacation to Utah recently. And thank you BookSneeze for providing me with a free copy to review and give my input on!

No comments:

Post a Comment